There are many correct ways to respond to this question. For this post, I’m going to keep it as simple as possible and offer one way. You can take a fun quiz at the end too if you’d like.
First, remember these three key steps:
- Start by discussing your current situation.
Explain your current role and highlight major, relevant achievements and responsibilities.
- Work backward by hitting key points along your professional journey.
Summarize previous experience and how they’ve helped prepare you for the role. Focus on results you can quantify where possible.
- Connect your background, interests and qualifications back to the job.
Finish by explaining how your experience will make you successful in the role and how the job aligns with your career goals.
Second, as you are responding, remember the STAR method:
- Situation: Describe the context or situation where the experience or challenge occurred. Set the stage by providing necessary details without going into excessive background information.
- Task: Explain the specific task or objective you needed to accomplish within that situation. What were you responsible for? What was the goal?
- Action: Detail the actions you took to address the situation or task. This is the most crucial part, where you describe what you did, the steps you took, and the skills you applied to resolve the situation or complete the task.
- Result: Share the outcomes or results of your actions. What happened because of your efforts? Quantify results if possible (e.g., increased sales by 20%, reduced processing time by 30%, etc.) and highlight any lessons learned.
Finally, keep the response time down to about 2 minutes or less, and remember that practice makes perfect. You could practice with a friend, write out your response, try out an AI chat tool, and/or online practice tool. And, don’t lie or fib. I know you really want the job but you don’t want to start work feeling super overwhelmed because your employer thinks you can do something you cannot.
Ok, now if you want, to see if you’re retaining this information, take a quick and anonymous quiz! Good luck in your interview! You’ll ace it!
This is an Alicorn Hunt public post. Most content at Alicorn Hunt is for members only. However, from time to time we’ll share an announcement or article for those outside of the Alicorn Kingdom. But, we hope that you’ll sign up to fully enjoy our community.